Society of Donhead Ringers
St John's, Charlton
St John's now stands beside the main Shaftesbury to Salisbury road, where its twin towers are clearly
visible to travellers as they pass. Until the mid 19th century, it stood about a quarter-mile
to the south, amongst the houses of the village itself. However, it needed a lot of repair and the
decision was taken to remove it up the hill, away from the dwellings to near the new Victorian
There is one bell, cast in 1839, with the note of C#. It bears the inscription "W JEFFERIES FECIT BRISTOL 1839".
Bell enthusiasts may click on this link
to view several pictures of the bell and its fittings.
Website design by Christopher Gaskell Sykes
The Donhead Ringers accept no liability for the accuracy of the information presented at this site. All information believed to be correct at time of publication. Corrections, updates and other information, including recommendations or requests, should be submitted to the . Validated messages will be acknowledged within a week.
Society of Donhead Ringers: Copyright© 2004